Sunday, September 12, 2010

A Way of Being

I was chatting about my blog the other day with one of my dear friends, Dr. Jason Kolber (who, by the way, is an amazing chiropractor, business/life coach, confidant and friend...simply an amazing individual).  As we were talking about kindness, he made a statement that I thought was just beautiful. 

"Kindness is not just an act, it’s a way of being".  

I agreed and immediately thought of my sweet friend Emily Wise Rosell who is a true example of this statement.

I’ve known Emily since the moment she was born.  Our families have been inseparable friends for more than half my life.  And every time I’m with her, I’m reminded of why I love her so much. She has such a sweet gift of making people feel loved, wanted, important and accepted.  My story about Emily took place the night of her baby shower.

The thing that I love about bridal and baby showers is that they are the epitome of “girliness”.  Where else do you hear a synchronized chorus of high-pitched squeals and where the word “cute” is used as a noun, verb, adjective, and exclamation…sometimes in one sentence?!  I love that the guest of honor is treated to a delightful few hours having the world revolve around her, being the absolute and deserving center of attention, and truly being showered (pun intended) with love and gifts and just the deliciousness of Girl Time.

So, naturally, the night of Emily’s baby shower was to be all about her.  As her host invited her to be the first to partake in the smorgasbord of yummy food, Emily stopped to say hello to everyone sitting between her and the table and to thank them for coming.  As she approached one of her friends, she noticed a distressed look on her friend's face. So Emily knelt down beside her, thanked her for coming and asked her if she was okay.  Her sweet friend, who was there to support Emily, could not hold back her tears, and she began to sob as she quietly revealed to Emily a story of tragedy that had just occurred in her family.  She kept apologizing to Emily that she was distracting her from her party, but Emily would not leave her friend’s side until she was consoled and comforted as much as she could be in that moment.  Emily was not concerned with being the deserved center of attention...she was concerned with the needs of her friend.

As I observed this interaction from a distance, I was so absolutely touched by Emily’s selflessness, and yet I was not surprised by her actions.  That is who she is. 

It is her way of being.

And she makes a difference in our lives.

So thank you, my sweet friend, for always being my reminder of what the character of kindness looks like.

2 comments:

  1. That is beautiful Kim. Thank you for sharing this! You are like that too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great story! As I was reading, your face kept popping into my head. So the same characteristics that you admire in Emily is also a part of you! That selfless act is Christ revealing himself to others so that we may bring others closer to his kingdom.:)

    ReplyDelete