Monday, January 3, 2011

A Generous Life

Happy New Year!  I can hardly believe 2011 is here! 

Okay, I actually say that EVERY January with surprise that the new year has arrived even though I’ve been anticipating it for the last few months.  So, I’m making a New Year’s Resolution to not say “I can’t believe it’s 2012” next year!  J

Speaking of New Year’s Resolutions, I have picked my theme for 2011.  For those not understanding, I don’t make resolutions at the beginning of the year; instead, I pick a theme and then set various goals around that theme. Last year my theme was Kindness, which inspired this blog (more to come in 2011!), and I had a fantastic year learning about, witnessing, and being the recipient of much kindness. 

This year, I had a few different, yet related ideas, but I couldn’t figure out how to combine them into one single theme and I was unsettled choosing just one.  Then out of the blue, inspiration hit at the oddest of events…strategic planning for a client.   What transpired to bring about my sudden inspiration is another story, but when I heard these words, I knew I had my theme that combined all of my desires for this coming year.

            Live a Generous Life

I immediately looked up the definition of generous and to my delight, there were three definitions that encompassed my other thought-about themes.

1) “Liberal in giving or sharing” 
2) “Free from meanness or smallness of mind or character; magnanimous; noble”
3) “Large; abundant”   

What I love most about these definitions collectively is that they combine the act of giving and sharing material abundance as well as giving, sharing and cultivating goodness of character. 

I am challenged to give more of myself.  

       I can give time
       I can share talents
       I can offer love, kindness, forgiveness and understanding
       I can genuinely extend compliments and praise
       I can be slow to anger and offense
       I can seek and create positive experiences for myself and for others
       I can be more concerned with how others feel
       I can cultivate a heart of gratitude
       I can approach each day with a determination to live present and live fully!

So here's a toast to a splendid 2011!  May yours be filled with the sweetness that comes from generosity and kindness.


5 comments:

  1. I love it! Can I use your theme too?-gina :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm inspired just reading this, especially live in the present!!!! melissa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun to take a peak at your blog! Hope to get together sometime soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE IT SWEETIE. YOU HAVE A GREAT GIFT FOR WRITING AND INSPIRING OTHERS TO DO BETTER.
    MOM

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful way to kick-off this new year! Thinking outside yourself and being more attentive to others. If I may say though, this does not come as a surprise to me about you! We don't really take the time to reflective on ourselves so I would like to say that I already considered you to be a generous person and giving of yourself! Not to take away from your theme but to say it's nice to know that you don't have to try very hard to accomplish this! In my book, you do a fantastic job at being who you are! Love, Kim P

    ReplyDelete